Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add servers to domain without being a domain admin? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcats

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2004
US
Is it possible to grant a user privileges to add a server to a domain without giving that user domain admin rights? Our R&D group is constantly rebuilding its development and QA servers. I would like to free up the IT department from having to add these servers to the domain every time they are rebuilt.

Thanks.

Ok, would you please tell me how... Thanks.

There are two ways to do this. The first and the one I would recommend considering it sounds like you will allow more than one or two people to perform this function is to create a security group say AddComputers. In Add Computers and Users snap-in, right click the domain and select properties, Select security, select advanced, select the group that you just created, select view/edit and check the following:

Read Account Restriction
Write Account Restriction
Reset Password
Validate Write to DNS Host Name
Validate Write to Service Principle Name

These are the minumum ACL's to allow someone to join a server or computer to a domain.

The other way is to individually check these ACL's for each person you want to allow this function. Good luck.

Jeffery Smith (Smitty)
PEC Solutions Inc.
BS - Computer Application & Networking
A+ Network+ MCSA MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back