Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add/remove progs didn't work - is there another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerald

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I am trying to rid myself of a Norton Antivirus program on my Win XP Pro system and the add/remove programs does not respond. There is also no uninstall file in the Norton Antivirus Program folder.

Does anyone know how I can remove it manually i.e. by carefully removing selective files? This would also be useful in future for removing other unsportsmanlike software.

Any help is much appreciated

"Be kind for everyone
you meet is fighting
a harder battle

even when using the add/remove programmes method Norton leaves a miriad of entries in the registry.

Use regedit - but be careful!! Back up your registry first.

Search for all entries of both 'Symantec' and 'Norton' and manually delete them.

Last time I did this there were many hundreds of entries and it took me over one and a half hours!!!
Then rebout and delete the symantec folders. Do a disk search since there are several apart from the main programme directory.

bcaster,

Your advice is usually 100% and very helpful.

However, I have found (see above) many entries in the registry that the Norton removal tool does not remove. Some of these files are intentionally left there so as to keep a record of the Norton subscription dates. The others I'm not sure about. Nonetheless, I have found hundreds of entries remaining.

I read this somewhere, I suppose it's true, but I don't use Norton products and so I can't verify it.

"For future reference, there is a program on the Norton CD to assist in removing "difficult" un-installs."

and you could always try the old reinstall and then uninstall strategy.

The last few times I upgraded NAV, I switched to doing it as part of my yearly system rebuild. "Format C:" is the most effective way of un installing any Symentac product.

Last year, I changed that. I stopped re installing NAV, and found better antivirus protection.

Cheers,

Chuck

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response to experience.

emerald, I had a big problem with nortons and could not remove it. I was unable to run my system without it interferring all the time. It became corrupt and it did not allow me access to the program. I live in australia and ended up calling symantec and spoke with a bloke who sent me an uninstall file. It was to remove all traces of nortons but in fact it removed the bulk of it. I then used Registry Mechanic to clean the rest up. Thnkfully it worked.

I still have the file of course as I still run nortons on another pc, at least for the next few months.

oh, and I forgot to tell you, I run XP home edition, not pro...

I had a very similar problem. Symantec software causes all kinds of problems. What I had to do was uninstall the Norton Anti-Virus manually. Look up Symantec site...then find Anti -Virus....and then instructions to unistall. Print off and go through the steps one by one. Its difficult, time consuming, but its the only way.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back