Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove Programs not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagornyi

MIS
Nov 19, 2003
US
w2k professional, sp4.
Double clicking Add/Remove Programs icon on Control Panel doesn't do anyting. What may be causing/how to fix this? Norton WinDoctor does not detect any problems in the system.
Thanks.

Can you access any other:

. MCC related tool, such as Disk Management, or Users and Groups?

Before it can get much worse, scan with Trend Micro and Panda (use both) at smah's FAQ: faq760-3862

Note: this state of affairs need not be virus related, please report back after the AV scans.

Could be related to internet Explorer. Have you updated this recently? This can be the cause.

Go to microsoft technet and search for article 329862. This should fix your problem.

I have cleaned my box from viruses and followed the artical 329862 trying to fix the problem. Did not help. As the article suggests, I went on with In-Place Upgrade:
And here strange thing happened. The article says that if w2k is seriously damaged, there may be no (R}estore option in the menu, but the installation would proceed to disk format instead. I had {R}estore option all righnt, but after clicking R it said.... HD not found !?!? . How is that possible? Not only HD is there, but the w2k is there and working except fro that Add/Remove programs issue... Not sure what to do.

I had a similar problem - add/remove wouldn't work - tried everything I (and Dell Tech support) could think of but in the end had to reformat and reload. Had a virus. Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but...

per ardua ad astra

I had the same problem (most likely caused by some virus indeed), and got it back to work by copying Mshta.exe from C:\WINNT\ServicePackFiles\i386 to C:\WINNT\System32.
You might also find it in C:\WINNT\System32\dllcache , but make sure you unmark "hide protected operating system files" in Explorer-FolderOptions, or you won't see this folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back