Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove programs entry wont go away! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
I installed a piece of software that allowed me to back my mobile phone memory up on my pc, however when I came to uninstall it, it wouldnt! So I made the mistake of deleting the folder in program files and removing the start menu shortcut, however add/remove programs still contains the software asking me if I want to remove it, when remove is clicked it does nothing. How can I sort this out? Any help is appreciated

Aaron

Ive downloaded that now mate, Ill give it a try later, thanks for the info

How do you remove a program using TweakUI? Which option to use?

MK

MK,

You don't use tweak ui to remove a program. To uninstall it properly, use Add/Remove programs in control panel. In this case, you use it to remove an entry from the control panel add/remove programs if for some reason it hasn't uninstalled properly.

John

DO I need SP1 installed to use tweakui? I dont have SP1 and when I tried to install tweakui I got an error message.

TweakUI version 2.10 is for Windows 2003 and XP w/SP1 only.

Try reinstalling the same program and then repeat the uninstall process.
If that does not work you can edit the registry to remove traces of the software. However if you are familiar with the registry I would suggest extreme caution.

Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

I have installed Tweak UI how do I actually remove the offending add/remove programs entry?

I'm not familiar with TweakUI, so I'll leave that to someone else.

You could use System Restore to go back to before you first attempted to uninstall this software. At this point you could try to uninstall it correctly, first by using the software's uninstaller (if there is one) or by again trying Add or Remove. If it wasn't too long ago you could even go back to before you installed the program in the first place. I wouldn't advise going back more than a couple of days though as other things will get changed that you may not wish.

Perhaps even a good Registry Cleaner would help you to remove that entry from the Installed Programs list.

Here's a free one to try.

To the best of my knowledge Tweakui will not either edit nor correct add/remove entries. System Mechanic will remove invalid installer info.

Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

Ok I downloaded regseeker, can you give me any further information to remove the offending entries?

Open it up. Make sure the box for Backup before Delete is ticked. Click on Installed Applications. Select the entry you want to remove by clicking on that to highlight it. Right click on that entry and select Delete from the drop down menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back