Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove Programs Empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshankarg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
AU
Hi Guys,

I have recently installed Windows 2003 Server Enterprise edition on a system. During setup I received an error " Unable to copy msi.dll" during the copying files phase. I have skipped the file and the installation proceeded. Later on I found that Add/Remove programs was not listed under Control Panel. I copied the msi.dll to %systemroot%\system folder and registered the dll file. I have also reinstalled Windows Installer 3.0 on the system. Now I am able to install programs, but when I open the Add/Remove programs it is empty. It is not showing any installed software on it. I also tried sfc /scanow and tried to fix it, but still the same problem. Can anyone help me out in fixing this issue ?

have u signed into server with a different account ??? do u see add/remove programes with that account???

im not sure u can do it with a server but if its the account that has the problem i usually ditch it and use another in xp when its stand alone and it sorts out and profile problem i have with that account...

so make a copy of the account first leave it there and see if it happens to the new account

DONT ditch the ADMIN ACCOUNT lol you were warned

good luck

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

I have tried it with different accounts. it is still the same. I dont know how to solve this issue. I am unable to uninstall programs from the server.

try a total repair of IE

and check the XP/2000 pro forum for probs of this type...
a certain bcastner is full up with ideas and tips on this problem (and about 100000 others too ;)-)

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

I reinstalled the 2003 again. It worked this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back