Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Remove doesn't open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2004
US
Hi,

I cant open add/remove programs. I can open any other icon in control panel except that one. There is no error message or anything that I can see.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks

CG

Check the event viewer and tell us what error is there.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

It probably isn't this but worth a thought.

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago and it turned out to be a problem with Active X. I reinstalled it from Windows update and it was fine.

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." - Sigmund Freud

The reason i put this longshot on is that my problem was exactly the same only the Add Remove progs wouldn't open, but it was on a 2K Pro box.

Thanks for the response, how do I reistall Active X from Windows Update. I dont see any listed there, can I do a force reinstall of Active X somehow.

Thanks

Sorry talking rubbish i reinstalled Direct X from windows update, you can also just download Direct X from MS.

Ok thats what I thought I will try that. I will tell you if it works but it wont be for a few hours because I cant reboot the server for awhile, thanks alot

Remember that my problem was on a non critical station, if it's a server remember to get a good backup as Direct X makes some pretty big changes and usually can't be uninstalled.

Also worth a thought and i know it's rare on a server but there is plenty of spy ware that tried to stop add remove progs opening.

i've had similar issues (it wouldn't open but I got an error) on XP Pro: I had to change the desktop theme to something else, do the add/remove that i needed to and change the theme back.

all very odd....

flatfour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back