Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add refference number to messages in Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwalker

Programmer
Feb 9, 2007
BG
Hello,
Is there a way to add refference number to all incoming/outgoing messages in Exchange? Can someone show me something about it? A way to 'catch' all messages in the SMTP queue, process and let them go their way?
Thank you

don't know if this can be done directly with exchange. read about CDO (collaboration Data objects) for exchange on the web.

a possible solution is to place a custom made smtp server between the internet and exchange. your custom smtp server will only function as a relay server but with the possibilty to fixup the smtp header with your ref number.

my question: why do you want to do this? there may be a solution out there for your problem...

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

I'm a sys admin. The Boss wants that. I've been looking for a slution for a long time and I can't find any. I can find solutions that could add refference numburs but should be installed to all of the PCs in the network and work like a rule that processes send/receive mail but it can't be installed directly on the Exchange server. It's not a solution. Anyone can use any PC by login with his/her user/pass on the domain and it would be a problem. Some offered me a solution but it works with Domino server. I won't change to Domino. It's stupid. I can not find any for Exchange. I want to try to do it by myself using Delphi if it is possible.

Have a play with the Indy components ( I've used their mail componenents for sending e-mail, but not for receiving. Each e-mail once received is available to your program as a single object (TIdMessage), so you can easily add a line to the headers, and then forward it on to your Exchange server.

You'll probably want to make it multi-threaded (depending on how much e-mail you receive). Give it the ability to pump details of each e-mail and it's unique ID to a database and that should work nicely.

Thanks Griffyn,
I'll see it. The volume of the daily mail in the organization is about 2000-3000 income messages and about 500-600 outgoing messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back