Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meishka

Technical User
May 18, 2003
GB
Hi! Have two networked printers with the other computer sharing my printer. The other computer stopped printing to mine because 'printer spooler not running' so I have deleted the printer and the drivers. Now when i try to add the printer I don't think it is seeing it. The printer on the main computer is still printing ok and sharing is ticked! Any ideas anyone? please?

If the spooler service is still not running you will not be able to add a network printer.

You need to resolve the spooler failure.

1. Start, Run, key regedit, press Enter

2. navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers

3. in each of the Version-2 and Version-3 keys, delete the keys for the "bad" printer(s)

4. open a Command Prompt Window

5. issue the commands
net stop spooler (may give an error message if the spooler is not running - just ignore it)
net start spooler

thanks for reply! I can get to version 3 but not sure which files are the 'bad'printer files, ?

many thanks! worked a treat! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back