Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add new table and have Public Roles automatic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I create new tables from time to timeand was wondering if there was a way to make the Pulic role the default.

Now I give the user a program only to find out there is an ODBC error "they don't have permissions"
So I come back to the SQL server and open Enterprise manager and set that table to be Public.
The 4 permissions that is (put a check in the box)

Select, Insert, Update, Delete

So when I create a new table I would like the 4 Public permissions above to be set as the table is created.
TIA
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

We could probably devise a way to grant permissions to Public every time a table is created. however, I see a real security nightmare. An easier solution is to make each user a member of the database roles db_datareader and db_datawriter.

As db_datareader they can select from every table and view in the database. As db_datawriter they can insert, update and delete from every table and (updatable) view in the database. Permissions can be denied on each object and/or user if needed.

NOTE: db_datareader and db_datawriter roles do not have permissions on stored procedures. Terry

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Hello,

No I dont think you can default the permissions to public. The only way I could see would be to grant the permissions at the time you define the table using the GRANT command. For example:

Create Table MyTable
(
pk_SLAbel Integer,
Name VarChar(50)
)
go
Grant Select, Insert, Update, Delete On MyTable To Public
go

Hope that helps
scott

Terry:
How do you handle permissions for stored procedures? Just curious... I usually create a new role and assign users to that role. I wrote a stored procedure that uses the sp_MSforeach* logic to grant permissions to that role for each stored procedure but I'm not sure if any of this was necessary - I gave up looking for a better way but could've easily over looked something.

Great input people
I think I'll use "SLAbel's" line to make a stored procedure.

Grant Select, Insert, Update, Delete On MyTable To Public

Now how can I make it prompt for a table to be put in the "MyTable" variable

Thanks
DougP, MCP

i would think you could use:

MS_foreachtable 'grant bla, bla on "?" mytable'

put this in a stored proc and just run it evertime you create a table. there is no problem granting a table that has already been granted..... Paul

dbmsguy,
That looks good too.
So if I were to add Public permisions
the syntax would be: ????

MS_foreachtable 'grant public on "?" mytable'

DougP, MCP

the syntax would be something like this... depending on the permissions being granted.

exec sp_MSforeachtable 'grant select on ? to public'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back