Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add New print driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxT2

MIS
Oct 3, 2003
US
Hi,

Anyone know how to add a new print driver to a MAC?

FoxT

It's MAC OS 9.2

I thought there would be a choice in the control panel somewhere but there is not any. In Windows I just goto the "control panel" then "printers" the "add new printer", select the driver from a list or disk, and your done with it.

Thanks,

FoxT

I am not too familiar with 9.2 but I do know that you use the Chooser (which should be in the Apple Menu) to add printers.

Take the driver (actually an extension) and put in the extensions folder in the System folder. Hopefully you have a PPD file also. This goes in the Printer Descriptions folder that sits inside the Extensions folder as well. It will then show up in the chooser. You may need to restart if you do not see it in the chooser.

Thanks for the responses.

I actually got it installed by going to HP's website and downloading the driver from there and then used their installer program. I can now see it in the chooser. However, the problem now is that everytime I try to print or try to look at the printer settings, it keeps trying to find the printer on the network. It is not on the network, it is a local printer on a USB port. But there are no options anywhere in the chooser to specify that. The only options there are to try to connect thru TCP/IP.

Where do I tell it that is a local printer? Why would think it needs to connect to it on the network to begin with. I never specified anything during the installation that it was on a network.

Thanks,

FoxT

Do you see a HP printer icon in the chooser? When you select the icon there should be an option to select "via USB". If needed use Apple System profiler and verify that the computer sees the printer at the USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back