Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add New Hardware Wizard PCI System Management Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees23

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Hey all,

After re-installing Windows 98 1st edition, I am getting the
Add new Hardware Wizard at startup. I have tried directing the wizard to all of the installation CDs and diskettes; and the wizard states that none of these are the right ones.

The wizard is for "PCI System Management Bus."

The Device Manager has no devices in yellow nor do they have a ? or !.

Can somone point me in the right direction? Thanks

That's probably a driver from the motherboard drivers disk. Put it in and it will auto-detect what you need.

I tried the mother board driver diskette and setup CD, still same problem...

What are we talking about? Let us know what computer, motherboard, and what procedure you are using to install the drivers.

Oops,

The motherboard is an FIC SD 11. I installed the driver diskette from the My Computer A drive Icon. The install program is AMD AGP Miniport Driver Setup.

I installed the IDE Bus Master Driver from the CD from My Computer D drive icon. Ever since then I am getting the new hardware wizard at startup. I tried going through the wizard and directing it to the driver diskette and CD and the Windows Update option, still same problem.

The computer was home built, generic tower.

Thanks

Have you tried re-installing Windows over itself? Won't hurt anything, and might pick up/repair the "missing" drivers. Even better would be to upgrade to 98 SE, it has MANY more drivers built in.

I do no know how to install Windows over itself. As far as upgrade, I wouldn't even consider it. A am waiting for this computer to crash and then buy a new tower with XP, etc...

Thanks

AMD AGP Miniport Driver Setup" is a video board program to let the AGP slot co-exist with early AMD CPU's. It has nothing to do with your problem (you do need it, though).

"I installed the IDE Bus Master Driver from the CD from My Computer D drive icon."

I'm confused: did you copy the program to your "D" drive, or is "D" your CD drive? Look in Device Manager, and see what is listed under IDE controller. For instance, mine is:
1. Primary IDE Channel
2. Secondary IDE Channel
3. VIA Busmaster IDE Controller (VIA is the special driver for my motherboard).

Yours will be different, but post what this section says for yours.

I originally installed the IDE Bus Master Driver from the FIC CD Pro CD (drive D). The install said it finished successfully.

Then after getting the new hardware wizard at startup I tried to direct the wizard to the cd drive with
the FIC CD Pro CD in it.

In the device mangager under Hard disk controllers:

Primary Id Controller (dual fifo)
Secondary ID Controller (dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Also, I just nocitced under Network Adapters:

D-Link DFE-530 TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Dial-Up adapter

I find it odd that I have a Dial-up adapter in the device manager considering I have no internal modem; just an external cable mode.

Should I remove Dial-Up adapter from the device manager?

Thx

When you boot and get the Wizard, just hit cancel. You should just get a yellow mark in "Unknown Hardware" section, with no problems.

I clicked cancel in the Wizard and checked the Device manager. There is nothing unsual other than the fact there is a dial-up adapter listed under network adapters.

Thx

Problem has been solved by downloading, extracting and installing appropriate AMD and Via drivers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back