Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add muliple rows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I have a table with customers, a table with products and a table with serialnumbers. When I add a new product I want to create the same rows with a different serialnumber or add new serialnumbers for an allready existing product. Basically what I am looking for is when I select a product I get prompted (or how ever possible) with the question how many serialnumbers I wish to create.
Example: I have product X. My last serialnumber is 100. I want to generate 25 serial numbers. I would be asked how many I want and it would automaticaly insert 25 new rows in my DB for product X with different serialnumbers 101, 102, 103 etc etc.

Is this possible and how would I go about in doing this.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Timo

Take a look at append query:
DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO theTable (field1,....,fieldN) VALUES (value1,...valueN)"

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I need to exactly the same things, the reply you have received does not seem to be the answer. Please advise if you have worked this out as I am pulling my hair out trying to find the same solution.

Thanks
craig

If you don't like the append queries then play with the AddNew method of the Recordset object.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks for the response...
It's not that I dont like your append solution,but how would I use this to paste a number of rows based on the value in an uound field for quantity of one product with the same serial number.

Thanks again.

And what have you so far ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

At the moment I have a command button..

Private Sub Command122_Click()
Dim sClient As String
Dim sDevice_ID As String
Dim sCon_In As String
Dim sStatus As String
Dim sReceived As String
Dim sSN As String

sClient = Client
sDevice_ID = Device_ID
sCon_In = Con_In
sStatus = Status
sReceived = Received
sSN = SN

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Client = sClient
Device_ID = sDevice_ID
Con_In = sCon_In
Status = sStatus
Received = sReceived
SN = sSN

End Sub

And the goal is ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

Well at the moment it just copies and pastes one record. I want to have another unbound field with the number of times I want the record to be pasted.

The field for entering the qty is not my problem but rather the code to loop it for n times.

So basically some sort of loop that will continue for the number of times specified on the qty unbound field.

Something like this ?
For i = 1 To Me![number of times]
DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
Client = sClient
Device_ID = sDevice_ID
Con_In = sCon_In
Status = sStatus
Received = sReceived
SN = sSN
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
Next i

Hope This Helps, PH.

Thanks PH... that did the trick.

Here is the final code.

Private Sub Repeat_AfterUpdate()
Dim sClient As String
Dim sDevice_ID As String
Dim sCon_In As String
Dim sStatus As String
Dim sReceived As String
Dim sSN As String

sClient = NewClient
sDevice_ID = NewDevice
sCon_In = ConIN