Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add loud ringer or bell for extention in remote location?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bq

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2002
US
I need to add an additional (loud) ringer or bell for an extention. It is for the shop mechanic who wants to hear his ext. ring out side the building in the carport area. About 20' away from his desk. It's on a partner asc r5 and an 18 D phone. Thanks!! BQ

No Prob. look on the back of the 18D phone and you will see that that you have an aux jack, just run a base cord to the external ringer, if you can not plug into the ringer, cut off the mod end and use the tho center wires to wire it in. Hope this helps!

another solution would be to use a product made by viking ,I dont recall the part number but its a 2 watt amplifier tied to a small paging horn.
you tie this into the speaker on the phone and that way anything that comes to the speaker is amplified.

this would give you the benifit of amplified paging along with the amplified ring so a handsfree intercom call would be amplified and since the phone ring thru the speaker ringing is amplified also.

price is about the same as a external ringer.

"a 2 watt amplifier tied to a small paging horn.
  you tie this into the speaker on the phone and that way anything that comes to the speaker is amplified."

I've done this in the past, but I really hate this as a solution. _Every_ sound the phone produces comes out over the loudspeaker, including key presses when programming and going on hold, etc. and dial tone when the user hits a line key.

I'me sure Viking makes something similar that can use a single-line telephone as input (which is what you get from the Aux. jack ot by looping off of the green/red at the block), and give you a loud "ringer" over a page horn (and have external paging through the page port)

I've done this in the past, but I really hate this as a solution. _Every_ sound the phone produces comes out over the loudspeaker, including key presses when programming and going on hold, etc. and dial tone when the user hits a line key.

only if using the phone in speakerphone mode. IF you pick up the handset nothing goes out over the speaker and in a noisy ,shop enviorment speakerphone function is rarley used.

There are several modular external bells out there by Viking, Valcom, Stinger Ringer (my personal favorite, 90+ db off standard ringing voltage). Given the short distance, I would go with buying a long mounting cord and going from the Aux port of the phone to the external ringer.

franke

I have a similar problem. I have a existing building, with a bell built into the building and wired to an old Merlin system. Now we are changing to a Partner 5.0, can I assign an extention and simply plug the bell into the extention port so that all calls will ring on the external bell? Also, would like to add a light signal of some sort. Can that be done the same way, or possibly plugged into the extention on the desk? Thanks for your ideas!

Yes, you can use a port off of the partner sys. to run an external bell and use the same port for a light signal, then just program that ext. for the line(s) you want to ring.
if you have any questions let me know.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Nothing special needs to be done to that extention though, right? I know I need all of the lines associated to it, but is that it? It just seemed too simple.

you can also have a system or single line phone attached to the port also

it will support any ringer designed to work off standard co ring voltage either plug it into the aux port of a system phone or pull it off the first pair at the jack

Hi guys,
Stinger ringer with a strobe. The load on the station port is lighter as it plugs into an outlet too. They are really loud, we use them in shops all the time.
-Chris

Hey Skyoughn, check out that old loud bell first - Really old Merlins used a 48VDC ringer (Alert) that wired back to external alert terminals on the control unit (assuming that it was one of the "classic" models. If so, it will NOT work on 90VAC, in fact it will take the station port off hook if you connect it up.

Thanks TouchToneTommy for the heads up. I have the new system programmed and pretty much ready to go, but I'm waiting to do the physical work over the long weekend, so I have not had a chance to inspect the old ringer yet. The old ringer hasn't worked in quite some time, so if I have to replace it, it won't be a big deal that it's not working immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back