Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add local printer on Windows server 2003 without Administrator rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech24

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
I need to grant access to a user to add local printers on a server with Windows Server 2003. I add him to the local Print Operators groups but when he tries to do add the printer, the option "local printer attached to this computer" is not available to be selected.

How can i grant access to the print operators group to be able to add local printers?

I guess, users should to be a members of Power Users (a required minimum) group before they will be able to add printers. Additionally, they should have permissions to load and unload device drivers. So check security policy that restricts loading device drivers is not applied to them. It's located in Computer Configuration|Windows Settings|Local Policies|User Rights Assignment. That's one of reasons why we use Desktop Aurhority ( to maintain printer deployment and assignment through our domain. It allows assigning printers to domain users right at thier logon to domain. They do not need to add printers themselves because Desktop Authority does this.

The problem I'm having is on the Print Server.
I need to grant access on the Server to one of my Support Tech to add local printers.
I have a Windows server 2003 documentation that indicates that on member servers, members of the Administrators and Print operators groups can install local printers. But the user i refer, is included on the PO group and does not have access to do it. I also include him in Power users group, with no success.
The only way i have found so far, is adding him to the Admin group, but i'm not supposed to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back