Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'add' in 'scanner and camera' not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewokuk

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
GB
Using xp pro sp1 + updates. Ive just got a digital camera, a Canon Digital IXUS 400. trying to connect it via usb and i cant getit working.

the camera is detected as soon as i plug it in, but it is detected as an 'unknown device' and listed as 'digital still camera'. I get no device come up in explorer, nothing listed under scanners and cameras and the canon software says it cant detect any cam. If i try and click 'add' under scanners and cameras then i get an eggtimer for about a second, then nothing happens.

it IS detecting the camera to some extent because it beeps whenever i turn it on or off, and deleting it from device manager then turning it on re-detects it again, but as the same thing. I also dont get any wizard popup when i plug the camera in, and autorun is turned on for all devices (checked with tweakui).

i plugged it into my dads crusty old xp pro sp1 installation and it was detected as a digital ixus 400 straight away and worked perfectly.

I tried installing the canon WIA drivers but it just hangs when it tries to 'update my drivers'.

theres obviously something wrong in windows for the 'add' in scanners and cameras to do nothing when clicked but even with my experience i have no idea what or how to fix it. If i manually run the scanner and camera wizard (wiaacmgr.exe) then it just tells me it cant detect a camera.

my windows is damn clean, ive turned off services i dont need (but WIA is on, as is hardware detection), my dads is full of crap and it works straight away.

Quick Question...will your computer detect and install any other usb devices?

i have a usb mouse, usb bluetooth dongle (which isnt plugged in anyway) and a usb logitech webcam which also happens to be detected in the unknown devices section (but as a Logitech quickcam pro 4000 which is correct) and it works anyway.

i tried making a new user account, logging into that then turning the cam on but it does exactly the same thing, new hardware icon comes up, it detects it, says its installed and ready for use, and its not. the first bubble that comes up over the new hardware icon next to the clock says 'canon camera' then it changes to 'digital still camera' just after which is what it appears.

i cannot get the 'add' scanner or camera wizard to work AT ALL, eggtimer for a second and then nothing.

Have you tried removing the usb controllers from the device manager and then restarting to let XP detect and reinstall them

yes tried it, didnt work.

its nothing to do with usb since its the 'scanner and camera' part of windows thats refusing to work.

I am having the same problem.

Had anyone found a solution for this problem yet?

Thanks.

i solved it by doing a repair install of XP over the top of my existing install. put the disc in and run setup, the first time it asks if you want to repair, say no, itll then do some stuff and ask again if you want to repair the existing installation, then say yes.

youll have to get the windows updates again and possibly some drivers. after this everything was working perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back