Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add IDE HDD by PCI IDE controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2003
AU
I want to add 4 more IDE HDDs on my IBM x205(Redhat9) by a PCI IDE controller. Don't know if the Power supplier can support or not. Details:

This IBM x205 (2.4Ghz)has 7 bays. At the moment, I have
2xIDE HDD, 1xCD-ROM, 1xCD-RW,1xFDD,256MB+512MB memory, 1xPCI Ethernet card, 1xPCI NI-DAQ card, on-board video/audio.

The power supplier of IBM x205 is AP12FS40
5V ---- 20A (150W MAX)

3.3V ---- 30A
12 Vp ---- 10A
12 Vd ---- 10A
-12 V ---- 0.7A
5Vsb ---- 2.0A
These 5 above are total 340W MAX.

Any suggestions? Thanks

No way, especially if you only have one 150W power supply. You don't want to risk even a brief loss of power to any of the drives which can result in corrupt data or sectors.

I would upgrade to at least one top-of-the-line PSU rated at over 450W. Even better, I would upgrade to a larger tower using two power supplies rated at over 300W each.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I don't understand the PSU details, what does it mean? 5v--20A is 150W MAX, the others are total 340W MAX or for each of them it is 340W MAX, for example, if all are 3.3v--30A, then the total is 340W MAX, if all are 12Vp--10A, its total is also 340W MAX. In this case, how to calculate how much power consumption each component in computer needed? I think HDD is the one using most power?

I wouldn't worry about the PSU details too much. Bottom line is that you plan on having a total of 6 hard drives. No way would you want to trust all 6 running off of one power supply in addition to everything else.

Go with another PSU rated at 350W or better and connect all 4 of the new drives to that.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back