Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add/Edit a database in one form

Status
Not open for further replies.

torf66

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
I have an access database the key is admit number/requestor/review type. The users wants to be able to from the switchboard click a button for Add/Edit Database. When they click this it will bring them to a screen where they can enter in an existing record in the database and edit it from this screen. Or they can enter an entirely new entry into the database. So for example I enter in the admit number field 123 it starts to show me all the entries that begin with 123+requestor+requestor type. Entries may look like this
123 BXBS Appeal
123 BCBC Denial

When the user is at the admit number entry and they begin to enter 123 then it will show these two entries and then they can select which one they want to edit and then begin to edit the record they chose. Can this be done from one screen? Also if they want to enter a new record then they could enter 123 BCCC Appeal. In one form could this be done. They do not want a separate command button to add records to edit exiting records they want it all from one screen. Can I have in the Heading of a form a combo box n that they can enter the admit number and pick from a list of existing entries in the database or if they are entering a new entry the user can bypass the combo box and add an entirely new record.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yes. What you want is possible. If you use the toolbox in the form design view, select a combo box and make sure the Wizard tool is also selected. When you go to create a new Combo box on the form, the wizard will ask what kind of combo box you want to create. Select the options that says you want the combo box to look up records in the form based on a field. Then select the field (or one of the fields)that has the information you want to create the quick jump to. The wizard will create the object and the code, which can then be modifed to meet your needs. Then, the user can use the combobox to jum straight to any record on the form, or they can click the * button and add a new record.

The problem with a combo box is it only allows you to pick one field for the value. So my problem is if I have two records with say 123+NDBC+VALIDATION and another record with 123+NDBC+LOOK INTO. If the field I choose during the setup of my combo box is the first field then when I use the combo box and I choose record two 123+NDBC+LOOK INTO it will go to the first record 123+NDBC+VALIDATION because the field that has 123 is the field I choose during the combo box setup. I need the combo box to go to the exact record I choose not the first in the series. How can I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back