Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add Drive to RAID5 on a PE2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

aacinit

MIS
May 16, 2003
US
I have a Dell PE2600.
Raid Configuration 4X36GB Drives.
The server drive cage has 2 more empty slots.
I purchased 2 more 36GB hard drives from Dell.

This is what I want to do:

Add the 2 - 36GB hard rives to the RAID5 array.
The C: partition on the RAID 5 is already running out of space. I want to add some more space to the C:\ partition and the leftover I want add it to the E: partition.

How can this be accomplished?

Thanks in advance for all the co-operation.

--Al

Spte 1 is adding the new drives into the array, stick them in the free slots and go into Array Manager and see if they show, if they do see if you can add them to the existing array. If they don't show up as available devices to add to the array then you'll need to flash the PERC firmware/drivers and try again (this will need a reboot).

After that to expand the C: drive you'd have to find a tool like Partition Magic, never used it myself though (never expanded a C: drive). For a non system drive you can extend it using the Microsoft command line tool diskpart (here the basics are covered: ).

You'll find diskpart doesn't run with Array Manager installed though as Array Manager hooks into disk management. Just uninstall Array Manager, use diskpart to extend the volume then reinstall Array Manager. Diskpart doesn't work on system disks.

If I were you I'd leave the C: volume alone and look at moving the pagefile and other stuff to a different volume rather than extending it. If you use backup software that logs to the C: drive that's a good candiate to reinstall to another volume (or at least move where the logging is done).

I have to say that expanding C: drive is not the best idea, especially using Partition Magic on a RAID.

If you are using the drives as space for User(s) network drives, having them on a seperate volume is no bid deal.
On the other hand if you are using this as database storage you might have no choice but to add it to the C: drive as most database versions will not allow spanning accross multiple volumes without specifying them from the birth of the database.

Also make sure if you uninstall Array manager you remember the exact order of the drives as compared to what the Array is showing you.

Partition Magic will not work on Server 2003 ( I'm assuming, since it's a 2600). There are 2 ways to do it: backup to tape; repartition; restore from tape to the new partitions (ugh.... and better hope the restore goes perfectly) or you can buy server class partitioning software.

This is more common of a problem than you might think, especially with Dell Servers, that people install the OS from the preinstall at first boot. By default, Dell only creates a 12 Gb system partition, and doesn't offer you the opportunity to change it. I use the media to do a clean install on new Dells now to avoid this limitation.

But, if you already have an in-service server, that you can't afford the time or risk of wiping and restoring from tape, I've used Paragon Partition Manager Server Edition with 100% success on serveral servers. It's a great product, although you have to cough up $300. It's non-destructive, and very easy to use. I just did exactly what you're doing last month on a 2600- had (3) 36Gb in Raid 5, and they wanted to add (2) more 36Gb. System partition was running out of room, and we needed to expand it.

I perform complete tape backups (just in case) prior to the conversion, and all of them have worked perfectly. The product performs as advertised.

twwabw
I used Partition Manager.
The expansion on the C:\ drive worked.
It took about 6 hours to finish.
I saved some space to add to the E:\ drive.
It is not working when I try do expand the E:\ drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back