Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add domain user rights to local windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

twospoons

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
US
I have a Win2K Server setup as PDC / AD. All my users have accounts on the PDC. Most of the workstation were Win98 and now we have begun replacing them with WinXP Pro. I want add the domain user account to each machine to give each user full access to their own c:\ to install programs, updates, etc...

When I go right click c:\ --> properties --> security, then click add, the location only shows the local machine name. I have added and removed the machine from the domain several times via right click my computer --> computer name --> network id (and just the change button)... I have tried adding the domain users in the control panel --> user manager locally, through the computer manager --> users and groups, and through the system properties --> network id... sometimes the domain user will show up under the user manager, but it does not show up when I go to the security properties of drive c:\.

I was able to get this to work on one WinXP machine... I followed the exact same steps on two others, and when I click the locations button in the security properties of drive c:\, it only list the local machine. Why can I not browse the domain?

Help please.
twospoons@hotmail.com

why does that matter? i don't want the user account to be admin for the pdc. the xp machine that i did get this to work with does not have the user account setup as admin on domain controller. but just for kicks yes the user account i'm working with on the second xp machine is admin on the pdc.

Have you tried my suggestion :probeselector, i have tried the advanced options for adding users (have not specifically tried the groups in the exact steps you suggest, but i will try that), the problem is that the domain does not show up as a location option.

i'm not on location right now, will be friday though and will try it then... i tried it on one xp box here at the office and it didn't work... but its not the exact same setup... i doubt it will work but i'm willing to give it a shot.

You know you can use Microsoft e-mail assist for $99.00 and put this to bed. I have used this several times and found that they will provide more than enough information. I use this when i have reached my end and tired of dealing with it. Good luck.

I aam experiencing exactly same problem, as you have described. If my WinXPPro (Dell by the way) is configured to be in workgroup, I can browse my network and do anthing I want. When I join this XP client to my Win2k domain (which is my PDC, DHCP, WINS and only server) I cannot logon quickly enough and after finally being logged in (at least it appears like it is) I can see my network, but cannot access any of the resources and also do not see my domain when attempting to add domain admin or domain users to my local admins. Did you resolve your problem? If you did, please advise.

Marek

I would suggest these steps first :

1. On the DC run DCDIAG (install this on the Server from the Windows 2000 Server CD (Windows 2000 support tools).
if all the tests passed, then you DC is setup correctly.

2. Did you authorize the DHCP Server in the Active directory ? if not you need to launch DHCP console and authorize it.

3. Did you put the DC's IP address as the prefered DNS server ? In the TCP/IP settings in the DNS tab the first DNS server should be the DC itself (DC's IP address). This should be same same for the DC's IP settings.

4. Check the event logs and see if any errors are reported in the System and application events ?

5. Most importantly. Check your licensing . See if you installed enough CALS. If you see any errors about licensing in the event logs them that is one of the problems.

6. Finally in the DNS console check if it is set to secure updates ? change it to Dynamic instead.

7. If you used some kind of Ghosting software ,then you will run into SID problems. In this case you need to run sysprep on every machine that as Ghosted and change join these Workstations to the Domain.

Good luck

Just for your info, I have the exact same problem (not a dell) but XP pro. I still haven't resolved it. But for now I have added them to the Domain Admin Group. It's wreally weird.

When you unpacked these machines, whether they were from Dell or not, did you plug right in and try to join the domain? I have found that Dell's/HP's images don't like this too well, so I rebuild them myself as soon as I get them. Haven't had any problems since.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! Majority of my clients are Dell Machines using XP. I have a W2K domain with one DC and a NT4 server. My W2K is running in Mixed Mode which is required. Only some of my XP clients can see the AD domain accounts. I have manually removed the computer and the actual account from the DC. Then successfully rejoin the domain and restarting the computer several times. When you enter the MMC, you should be able to click on the groups and select the administrators group; then click the add button and under the location field should be your domain name. The only name selectable is the local computer name. The domain name is not available nor can you select it or type it in. The only common thing that I’m reading is that we’re all using Dell computers. Maybe it is something with dell hardware and XP. My W2K clients appear to work properly. Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue?

Total hell. This is looks like real mystery here. I am running Linux based PDC and having exactly same problem! DELL(!) computers with WinXP Pro can't browse network sometime, while win2k can do this without any single trouble. Sounds really-really weird. Any reasonable ideas?

The answer to this (for me at least) is that the DNS setting is set to auto along with DHCP. I presume that the old NT4 server answers sometimes and sometimes its the W2000 server. I put the new DNS server IP address in as primary and the old NT4 as secondary and it worked.

Phil

I began to have this problem today with Dell xp Pro workstations and an NT 4.0 Domain. Has anyone figured out the answer?

I am also having this problem. Has anyone contacted MS yet to get a resolution? I have checked the KB but have not come up with anything (but may have missed something in the vastly large KB repository). I would really appreciate any help

Well, for me Win XP SP2 (It's still beta, but public) helped. No more such problem. The real Service pack will be available shortly afaik. Hope this will help.

I was having the same issue. I was able to fix the problem by making the PDC the primary DNS server. On the workstation I changed the DNS IP to that of the PDC server. I logged off the workstation. I logged it on as the locale administrator, went into computer management and the Domain server was there with all of the user.

Problem Fixed!

Just came across this thread and gave it a quick look over.

This might be of some help...

Some info regarding 2 of the issues discussed:

1) XP long logon times:
XP relies heavily on DNS for all naming resolutions. Make sure you have the primary DNS on the client pointing to the DNS server handiling the resolutions for the domain. If you do not have a local DNS, SET ONE UP. :)
It's quite simple, just browse the web for related documents. Also, make sure that, subsequently, all clients are set to dynamically update DNS.

2) Local admin rights:
You need to add the domain account locally to give users admin rights to their machine.
The easiest solution is to go to the control panel/users and passwords and then simply add the user with the same user name as on the domain. Make sure you enter your domain name, instead of the local machine. Then choose admin right in the next dialog.

If the above has already been discusse, sorry for inconvenience. Otherwise let me know if you have any questions.

Greets,
Michael

Regarding my last post:

Item 1) also applies to the problem with browsing the network. Again, XP needs a DNS server!

Greets,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back