Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add a second Exchange server at remote site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2002
US
Hi- I am a network admin with limited Exchange experience.

I am running Windows 2003 SBS with 40 exchange mailboxes. My company has two locations, I use a pop3 connector to download mail from our ISP to Exchange, and the 20 users at the remote site just use pop3 from Outlook (no exchange for them) We have been doing this for 2 years with no problems, I am pretty comfortable working with Exchange now, but am definately no expert.

My companys two locations have networks with the same domain name, but they are completely independant of each-other. 2003 Server/Active Directory on both sides, but they are not linked in any way. Poor planning to use same domain name in both places but that was before my time :(

The decision has been made to put the Remote office on Exchange as well. I could build an Exchange server at their site and put a pop3 connector on it just like I have at my site, and I know this would work. However, it seems there should be a better way to do this.

The ideal situation for me would be to have an Exchange server at each site and lose the pop3 connectors. Point our domains MX record to my Exchange server, and have both servers transfering mail between them via VPN as necessary. Can this be done between seperate domains, even if they have the same name?

Any advice regarding the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Your situation is kind of sharing same email domain between two email systems. You can setup one server to receive all Internet emails, and for any unresolved addresses, forward to another server. For outgoing emails, you can let the two servers send out directly to Internet.
More details are here:

However, you can't set both servers to forward unresolved email to the other. That will cause a mail loop. Also, you'll need PTR records at both places.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back