Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add a menu item for a macro - In a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeF

Technical User
Nov 30, 2000
US
I need to know how to add a menu item that can run a macro, but the menu item has to be attached to the file. This way, when someone else opens the file, they too will have the menu option to run the macro. Also, when the file is closed, the menu option goes away.

In Excel 7.0, you just had to go into the visual basic module and go into the menu editor to get this done. I am working in Excel XP now and I can't figure out how it is done. I have been able to add a menu option to run the macro, but it creates a menu option on my computer only and it stays there even when the file with the macro is closed.

When you first add the menu, is there a 'Save in' option that let's you choose where the customisation should be saved?

For example, in Word97 I would choose Tools - Customise - Commands tab and at the bottom of the dialog box is a SAVE IN dropdown list that let's me choose either Normal or the active document.

Hope this helps.

Donna
IT@BDW

Donna, in Excel XP, there is no "save in" dropdown in the under tools - customize - Commands. Does anyone know how to do this on Excel 2000 or XP? Maybe it's no longer an option to cusomize the toolbar for a file????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back