Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADC Connector - what exactly does it do ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMThomas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2004
GB
As you may have seen from previous threads I am planing on migrating from an NT4 Domain to AD/W2003. Our Exchange server is currently v5.5 on NT4. We are part of a WAN with our head office in Austria.

What exactly does the Active Directory Connector do ?

My understanding is that it syncronises the A/D with the Exchange 5.5's own directory.

If that is the case and you only have 40 users, couldn;t you just manually change both directories ?

It 'prepares' the 5.5 databases to be compatible with 2003 AD. Without it, you cannot migrate and there is no manual trick around it.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

Without it you cannot migrate to Exchange 2003 or you can not run Exchange 5.5 with AD/W2003 ?

Migrate, you can, you don't need the clients for that, but you cannot access the 2003 from the 5.5 or the clients.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

Sorry, I am still misunderstanding.

Do I need to install the ADC as soon as I migrate the domain to windows 2003 and A/D or will it work ok ?

The server needs the connector to allow you to migrate.
The users (clients) need the DSclient ONLY if you want to keep them on NT4 AND connect to 2003.

Marc
[/sub]

Ok

So if the serve only needs the connector to migrate to Exchange 2003, I don't need to install it as soon as I upgrade to AD & W2003?
The Exchange 5.5 server will continue to function with A/D ?

You will not need it if you don't interconnect afterwards if that is what you mean.

Since you ask all these basic questions, I strongly suggest you do some serious reading before attempting anything like that, or get a consultant in.

Marc
[/sub]

Thanks Marc

I am booked on a Exchange 2003 Admin course on 7th Feb.

I have performed a domain upgrade on a copy of our domain and am 100% satisfied with the A/D side of things. My only concerns lie with Exchange as I am self taught.

Hopefully the course will explain more.

You will enjoy it! I had a crash course on Exchange 5.0 loooong time ago, the rest is self taught too, and it takes time an reading, lots!
Good luck.

Marc
[/sub]

Pete, the docs I posted above are Exchange 2003 specific, no need to post a potential confusing doc.

Marc
[/sub]

The doc I posted a link to goes into more detail about ADC than any other I have seen, and from a basic level. I couldn't find an Exchange 2003 specific version but I believe that the concepts are still relevant and the doc answers the OP's original question extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back