Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adaware two users and different results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
(1)Two administrator accounts are set up on this XP system mainly so e-mail for each person is segregated. If we run adaware SE for each user we get different results. Why? (2) Do we have to run Norton scans under each user too in order to check the entire drive?

Well of course. Two different profiles. Adware shows cookies so maybe one admin has more then the others.

Each profile has a separate registry, and therefore has different entries. This prevents one user from editing another person's registry.

Funnily enough, a lot of the dang spyware and adware get their claws into the registry and it gets very difficult to remove them later. Erg. I tend to use Spybot, AdAware, and McAffe to remove all the infections.

Good luck

Am I correct that once you have multiple user accounts created you are faced with multiple scans with Norton or McAfee in order to check ALL the contents of the hard drive?

Tools like Hijackthis would need multiple runs too? For each user.

This is the best argument I've seen for outlawing multiple accounts in an office environment.

Run your On Demand virus scans as an Administrator, it will have access to nearly everything. If you run them as a limited user the access is going to be severely restricted.

You are also right about running all types of scans on a per user schedule, this is why it is becoming an all day job to clean machines with several installed users, even worse if they are all Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back