Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adaptec can't see the hard disks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msworld

MIS
Jun 28, 2005
US
We have Dell PowerEdge 1600SC server running Windows 2000. After we replaced a defected HD with a new one, we keep receive blue screen with stop 0x000000xxx.

When the computer is booting, LSI Logic with MTPBIOS v5.06.04 can see all hard disks, but the Adaptec SCSI Card 39168 utility v2.57.2s2 display no device found. any suggestions?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

msworld,

Were the HDDs identical? Is the SCSI device # the same?

1. yes, both HDs are Fujitsu MAP3367NP.
2. The one SCSI ID is 0 and anotehr one is 1.
3. Only one HD is terminated.

Does this card have [CTRL][A] BIOS capability? If so you can interrupt boot to do diagnostics.

You might want to try just the terminated drive only to get it to identify by itself, then terminate and test the second by itself, before pulling one of the terminations and combining the drives.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Some progresses. The server have two Controllers, one is building in LLSI Logic and another one is Adaptec. Both were using the ID 7. So I changed Adaptec to ID 8 or 9, that didn't make different. Then I removed the Adaptec Controller and I could boot it from the HD. But, it gave me the blue screen with Stop 0x000000tB.Inaccessible_Boot_Device. If I try to re-install the windows 2000 using CD, it boots from the CD and then gives me not hard drive found error.

However, I can boot it from A drive and install the DOS V.6. I can also boot from win98 CD and install the win98. Win98 works fine. If you try to install windows 2000 or 2003 on win98, it gives me the same error not hard drive found. I try to find how to reset the computer, but not sure which one. So I took removed the battery and power. I still get get same error if I install the Windows 2000.

Now I am installing windows 2000 using IDE drive and it is working. It mus be some things in the SCSI controller, but where?

You probably have to supply Windows 2000 with the LSI driver during the initial phase of installation where it says to Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers. Without these drivers, Windows has no clue how to communicate with the controller.

Your ID 7 is the standard for the Adaptec. There is no conflict with the LSI controller as the IDs are local to the controller only.

It sounds like the Adaptec should be the boot device but can't find the hard drive to boot from, possibly because there isn't an OS there yet.

With no IDE drives, and both controllers in place, and drives on both controllers you should be able to run 98's fdisk and see the drives.

Also try the [CTRL][A] during POST get into the Adaptec BIOS to run a bus scan to see if it identifies the drives attached to it.

Ed Fair

Update. I I switch the SCSI cable to connect to the Adaptec controller, I can install windows 2000 and it is running. However, if I switch the SCSI cable back to the LSI controller, I receive the blue screen with the same error. Then I switch the SCSI cable to the Adaptec controller it works. So, it must be the LSI controller. But how can I reconfigure the LSI controller? I have re-set jumper on the motherboard and click default on LSI controller.

This is probably 2 steps, first to [CTRL][A] during POST and use the Adaptec BIOS to cripple boot capability. Then on the next boot follow Freestone's advice about [F6] to load the LSI drivers so the board can see the controller.

It will probably be easier if you take the Adaptec out until you get the LSI working.

I assume that the LSI is on the M/B since you mention changing a jumper.

Ed Fair

That makes sense. However, I have tried install windows 2000 many times, but didn't see the F6 option.

During the initial non-GUI portion of the Windows 2000 installation, observe the bottom line of the screen. You will see the prompt to Press F6 appear briefly. At this time, press F6 a few times. There will be no feedback that the key was actually recognized until a little later in the installation when you will be prompted to insert the driver diskette.

I have taken to tapping F6 from the moment the CD starts spinning until the prompt disappears. Oh and make sure your keyboard is not F-Lock'ed by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back