Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD - website not available after AD install

Status
Not open for further replies.

zon123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
US
I had our company website running on a Window 2003 server. The website is configured on port 81 and sharepoint on port 80.
Today I installed active directory which installed DNS. After the install, the website was no longer accessible. i could not do a system restore since its not installed on windows 2003 by default. I demoted the server from a domain controller and uninstalled Active Directory, rebooted the server and then unistalled DNS and rebooted the server. The website and sharepoint are still not accessible. What am I missing????

Did you use the same DNS name for your AD domain as the website?

It's not clear from your post whether you installed AD on a separate server or the same one that had the website on, can you clarify please..

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Try accessing the website via its IP address instead of its name, see if that works.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Did you try what I suggested?

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

I tried accessing the the website using the the IP address 216.117.89.22 but no success

I can successfully ping our domain name and IP address from the web server and from my client computer, but I can not access the website via internet browser.
We use Apache server which is configured to port 80.
Nothing else is using port 80 except Apache 2.2
In IIS the default website is configure to port 81.
When I run netstat -aon, port 80 is listening and the process
using it is httpd.exe which is the file that contains apache 2.2 configurations.

Umm but you said that sharepoint is using port 80??

Why are you using Apache and IIS and why did you install AD onto the server running IIS?

First of all you need to understand that the AD server really should be on a dedicated machine that isn't connected to the internet (by that I mean accessable from the internet). Next you really should be running a dedicated IIS server that is protected by not only the local firewall and SCW tools but also have all non essential ports closed down as well. Next you 'should' run your websites in a DMZ area, that way if people do connect to that machine they don't have unfettered access to the rest of your network, if there are requirements for data to be published that has to come from the internal network you open up specific ports to do just that.

You also really shouldn't be mixing HTTP servers on the same machine, either run IIS or run Apache, don't run both of them off the same machine as it's only going to complicate things.

Finally you may find that the reason the server has stopped responding is down to server hardening, once you installed AD onto that machine it decided to harden itself and stop incoming ports on it.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back