Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Software Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTech

MIS
Feb 13, 2002
US
As we know assigning applications to computers takes place when the computer is booting up. I have several home users that VPN in using the MS VPN Client and several road warriors on laptops. I'm pushing for a fully managed software environment.

So my question is what are you doing to deploy managed software to your VPN home computers and/or laptops?

My initial thought is to assign it to the user. The only problem I see (unless I'm not thinking it out far enough) is that some of these road warriors also have a workstation in the office. Their user account is already being governed by a specific policy that deploys standard applications.

I'm tearing apart the net and forums for supporting documentation. Should you know a good resource for said situation, please share. Also, if you have already figured out a plan that is working well le me know. Thanks for your time!

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

You can "assign" GPO policies to computers for the work machines, and "publish" the ones on the users. You can then set the "published" GPOs to only install when needed or when the user launches the software for the first time.

It's the best thing I can think of, but it's not ideal if they are on dial-up of course. It must be a high speed link.. besides.. i don't recommend a VPN on dial-up anyhow... It's slow enough without tunneling.. hehe.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I'll run a couple experiments in the lab, I'll let ya know. Thanks for the quick response!

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

Have you considered a more robust app deployment tool like SMS? SMS 2003 has BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) which allows the application to "trickle down" to the client on slow links. It is designed specifically for the "laptop warrior."

Well it wasn't an option before. As of recently I have asked the supervisor permission to investigate other services. SMS 2003 and WinInstall 8 are in the lab now, going through some real life tests.

There are more options, like McAfee ZenWorks and one I find very sweet for the price: (4000$ US and has full monitoring, deployment and remote control services)

SMS and ZenWorks are moslty for very large corporation. Not many small companies want to invest the costs of SMS and Zenworks for the need to deploy and control under 200 people (for example). 1-Vision is good for the cost and Windows 2000 GPO's lack reporting unless you drive it with another inventory manually.

Just my 2 cents :)

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I'm looking at right now. I'll also take a look at 1-vision. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back