Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyradford

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Can you confirm what I am doing is correct.

I have two DC's at our head office, one of them holding the FSMO roles.

I am about to deploy 5 remote DC's at 5 different locations and trying to figure out the best way to handle the AD replication throughout the forest. We use MPLS for our WAN so have any to any connectivity for all sites.

If I leave all sites on the DEFAULTIPSITELINK and create extra site links with a higher cost between remote sites, so site 1 goes to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 1 will this cover me if the head office is offline for any reason.

I am open to any other thoughts and would appreciate feedback.

That would mean if you create an account at site 1 that would only rpl to 2, later on that would rpl to 3 and so.

Personally if you're a small co and won't be making 100's of changes to ad everyday then have site 1 repl to 2,3,4,5. Because 2k3 will only repl the changes not the entire object.

Even if site1 goes down each site will be able to create a number of new objects before having to connect to the FSMO server again for a new range of numbers.

But to make sure you could then create links between the sites with the increased cost just in case.

Iain

Thanks for your reply Spirit.

I think I probably never explained it correctly.

Where I said site 1 to site 2 etc, I never made it clear that they were all remote sites and never included head office in that plan as they would all use the default link if available.

As there are only 6 sites, including HO, would you leave the KCC and the ISTG to do it's job and not intervene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back