Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edney

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am having issues with our W2k AD setup.

We have 5 x DC's, but when administering one of them through AD users & computers, if I try and perform a certain function (let's say disbale an account for example) I have this error popup stating: "The following Active Directory Error Occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.".

I know this is a very broad error message and was hoping someone has had a similar problem in the past.
I have no relative errors in the event logs, no problems replicating to other domain controllers, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated?

THanks Edney.

That's unusual as you say, I've never seen it. who are you logged on as? Try logging on as an enterprise admin and see if there's any difference.
Otherwise, right click on the Active Directory icon at the top left of AD users and computers and choose delegation of control. Further on through the wizard you see who has rights to manage the AD.

Thanks for your reply,

have attempted this as enterprise admins, still no success.

Tried what you suggested with "delegate control" still to no avail!

Our users are having trouble changing passwords also with the similar sort of message.

In the security tab of the domain properties of AD users and computers are the permissions configured correctly?
If you can give the message the users get too, maybe helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back