Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD Inegrated Zone with NT4 BDCs present

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntieEPO

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi

Nowehere can I find a definitive yes or no to this question, i think its a yes.

Basically, can you feasibly run an AD Integrated DNS zone between W2K3 servers, on a domain which also happens to have an NT4 BDC present.

Our domain currently runs in this state, since we upgraded one NT4 PDC to 2003 and added in another 2003DC. Leaving one remaining NT BDC which must be kept for the time being.

Currently we simply have a standard primary running on a w2k member server. I wondered if there may be any issues with zone replecation between the DCs with there being an NT BDC lurking around.

This should work. A AD intergrated zone can be present in combination with "old" NT BDC's.
Microsoft even recoments in some of there W2K courses to keep a NT4 BCD around "just in case".

Replication will be a bit different, considering AD intergrated zones replicate together with AD and use (if neccesary) incremental zone transfers.
NT4 BDC is READ ONLY (ofcourse) and does not support the following features used by W2K/2003:

- Incremental Zone Transfer
- Dynamic DNS (Well, it's read only.....)
- Secure DNS

Replication will de done the old fashioned way, wich means transfering the complete zone file from your AD DNS server to the NT4 BDC.

Regards,
Robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
Sniffer University Instructor
SCM/CNX/MSCA

Hi

Thanks, youve answered my question, but...

I dont actually want my NT4 BDC to host a DNS zone, i simply will have an AD integrated zone replecating between my two 2003 servers. I presume that this if anything makes life easier than the scenario you described where you have an NT4 secondary zone as well...?

Andy

Yes, best thing is to kick out your NT4 BDC. Why do you need to keep it? If you have older clients running on your network (NT/W98 or so), you should have installed your AD DC's in mixed mode (is the standard as far as i know) to be backwards compatible with your "old" clients. In that case, you don't really need the NT4 BDC anymore.

Hope i understood your question correctly. if not, let me know.
robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
SCM/CNX/MSCA

Robert

Basically i need to keep mt nt4 bdc as it is our RAS server, until i can get RAS moved off of it.

all i need to know is that a dns ad integrated zone will work ok between my other 2003 dc's with the presence of the NT4 bdc on the network, although it will not have dns installed on it. it will simply be my ras server as well as a logon server obviously, for a little while until i can get rid of it.

okay,
that's clear. it will work.
The first AD W2003 wil act as the PDC emulator for the BDC.
regards,
robert

Robert A.H. Wullems
SCM/CNX/MSCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back