Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD/DNS configuration problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkro

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
DE
Hello All,
I'm working on a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory, Exchange 2000, and of course DNS. It's been updated with SP2 and the latest SRP.
I need to reconfigure the way DNS is setup on the machine from being a root server to being a forwarder. DNS has been setup to be integrated with AD and I need to preserve all user and machine accounts as well as the mailboxes. If I remove DNS from this machine and set it up again, will this hose Active Directory and Exchange 2000? I can supply more specific info if needed.
Thanks,

You do not need to uninstall/reinstall DNS to enable forwarding. One way is to delete the "." zone, then you will be able to enable forwarding.The "." zone tells the DC that it is the root server, and will therefore not look to a different server to resolve domain names.
Quote From M$ knowledge base
If Windows 2000 does not detect any DNS servers during the initial DNS configuration, the new DNS server is designated as a root server. The root server is the ultimate authority for all name-resolution queries. Therefore, it is unable to deal with the concept that any name resolution queries that it is unable to answer should be forwarded to another server (or to the root servers on the Internet). Consequently, a Windows 2000-based DNS server that has been configured as a root server disables the options to add forwarders.

If this DNS server should be integrated into a larger DNS environment such as the Internet, you must remove the root forward lookup zone.

To remove the root forward lookup zone:
Click Start , point to Programs , click Administrative Tools , and then double-click DNS .

Expand the DNS server.

Expand Forward Lookup Zones .

Click the zone that is marked with a period (.), and then press the DELETE key.

Click OK .

Thanks for the info, it did help me with what I was trying to achieve. I suppose I should learn how to search Microsoft's support site better ;-).
Thanks,

Just wanted to say this helped me as well. Searching the net for a solution to my ICS problem, finally found it. Thanks! (Well I hope it did, internet works on my clients, but now to test that Win2K boot time...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back