Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ad-Aware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I'm posting this in the W2K servers location because most of the people here deal with users. There's free software out there called ad-aware. When you download things from some companies, the put cookies on your pc that report back to them what you do. I had a salesman with a laptop with over 2900 viruses, and he couldn't understand why it was slow. I figured if he was that bad about taking care of his anti-virus stuff, (Not to mention no scandisk or defrag in 3 years), he probably downloads all kinds of garbage and sure enough, he was being tracked. I installed ad-aware on my pc here at work, and found 11 companies tracking me! Steve Gibson had Opt Out but he discontinued that, and according to an article I found on techtv.com, where I downloaded ad-aware, Steve recomends it. If he does, it's gotta be good. Just do a search for ad-aware on any search enginge, it'll show up. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"The definition of the individual was: a multitude of one million divided by one million."
Arthur Koestler (1905-83); Hungarian-born British author.

The best place to get AD-Aware is directly from them at: and you can also get the latest signature files & reference updates. FYI, I also have this running on my Win2K Advanced Server, and own a registered full version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back