Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ad-Aware and Spyhunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotsLass

MIS
Sep 9, 2003
US
I have a Win98 machine and executed ad-aware this morning and
it could not find any parasites.

I downloaded spyhunter and it found the following:

1) Hkey_Classes_root\acrolEHelper.acrolEHlpr.obj & obj1

2) Windows\system\npnsdad.exe

3) Windows\Favorites\Links\microsoft.url

My question is, how did ad-aware find nothing and Spyhunter find these
files. Has anyone else had this problem?

Don't think ad-aware is best at spy's and trojans ,but very good at removing advertizing traces and treats .
It orginated from design with this in mind .
As for spy/trojan scanners approched from the other end of malware(spy's/virus/trojans ).
That's a possible explanation why they are not "in sync" when coming to removals .

For whatever my humble opinion is worth...I have also found that SpyBot Search & Destroy ( detect components that AdAware will miss. I usually use them in conjunction with one another.

I've also found that neither one of them is particularly good at cleaning up after a browser hijack...which is what your results look like. You might also try CWShredder available at

Chris

Also, when's the last time you updated Ad-Aware?
(Not that I'm sticking up for it...I've seen it fail too many times. IMHO, SpyBot is the better toy.

Spy Sweeper is pretty good (has resident memory,cookie,hompage shield). And together with Spywareblaster :
SpywareBlaster provides protection against spyware ever installing and can also prevent spyware from running if it is already installed on your machine! SpywareBlaster can also protect against spyware/tracking cookies (this cookie protection function requires Internet Explorer 6 or above - the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

-SpywareBlaster works by settings "kill bits" in the registry. These "kill bit" registry entries are set for the spyware ActiveX CLSIDs (unqiue IDs that identify an ActiveX control). When a kill bit is set for a CLSID, the ActiveX control that uses that CLSID cannot install itself via your browser, nor can it run if it already installed. Microsoft sometimes uses these kill bits for fixing Active-X security holes.

We have a DOS program named QPRO in which spyhunter marked
q.exe as a parasite, this is a perfectly legitimate program, does
anyone know why it would do this?

The paid version of Adaware is great.With it's Adwatch program, I've never had a Hijacker install itself on my systems. I read that some folks have issues with Adaware, but to my understanding, they are using the Freeware version, which I believe is basically toothless. Freeware to Freeware: Spybot S&D is hard to beat. Best wishes.

Don't forget those who serve and protect: Your Armed Forces personnel and Disabled Veterans (DAV).
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."
George Orwell, author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back