Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AD & XP (prob. a dumb question) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharyn

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
US
Good morning,

I have a question concerning Active Directory and XP pro. I am probably missing something here really simple so forgive the dumb question.

I am running an AD enabled domain. On my win2k pro boxes, when I doubleclick on My Network Places, I get an option for Entire Network. When I double click on Entire Network, I get 2 options, MS Windows Network (which brings up something that looks like the old network neighborhood) and Directory (which looks like a little phone book icon). Clicking on Directory enables me to pull up my client connection of AD to browse shares or whatever.

Where is this in XP Pro??? When I launch My Network Places, Entire network in XP, all I see is the option for MS Windows Network, MS Terminal Services, and Web Client network. For the life of me, I can't find this same Directory Icon (looks like a little phone book) in XP that is right there in front of me in win2k.

I know I am missing something! Where is the Directory in XP???

Thanks in advance!
Sharyn

That functionality was removed from Windows XP.
According to M$:
It could be seen that ordinary users should not be expected to browse, nor should they have a reason to browse the directory service.
They should use the Search facility to locate resources that they are not automatically mapped to, such as printers and shares etc.

You can also create a shortcut with the following command line
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe dsquery,OpenQueryWindow OpenQueryWindow

PITS but PLAIN...

Thanks,

That's ridiculous. Not all users are a**holes, and a lot of people don't know exactly what they are looking for which makes the search feature even more cumbersome to use.

We'll go the shortcut route! Thanks again for the info. I thought I was losing it.

Sharyn

All that shortcut does is give me a duplicate of the search option screen that I have already in XP.

Isnt there a way to get the whole directory icon /shortcut on the desktop?????

And this is a step up from Network Neighbhorhood?????I have to wonder.

Sharyn

FYI.....

From a different user list, a workaround...

Yes, this is by design. This functionality was deliberately removed from Windows XP. However, there is a fairly simple workaround if you have a Windows 2000 system handy:

* Copy the file %WinDir%\System32\dsfolder.dll on the Windows 2000 system to %WinDir%\System32\dsfolder.dll on the Windows XP system

* Run the following command at the command prompt: regsvr32 /s dsfolder.dll

You should now have a Directory icon in Entire Network and be able to browse the directory.

To remove this again, simply run the command regsvr32 /u dsfolder.dll then delete the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back