Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AcuODBC, data has text in date fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilFreihofner

Programmer
Nov 15, 2000
US
Hi -

We are using AcuODBC to connect Microsoft Access client to a database which I presume is programmed in COBOL.

Certain operations are generating the error:
ODBC--call failed.
[AcuCorp, Inc.][AcuODBC Dr(#1046)

It seems the occurance of this error corresponds to the inclusion of the text "Unknown" in a field that would otherwise contain a date. The design view of the table in MS Access indicates that the field is a Date/Time field.

Is there anything that can be done from the point of the AcuODBC driver downstream to allow for the flexibility to not get errors on this field? (We are having a bear of a time getting a response from the vendor of the original product that coded the source Cobol application - "Solution1".)

Thanks in advance,

Phil Freihofner
Oakland

I don't have specific experience with ACCESS but the database I'm using with acuODBC has a setting to make the database field zeros or spaces when there is a data miss match i.e. nonumeric in numeric field.

Regards

Vins Nash

I agree with Vins Nash. There is a setting when configuring the DSN that might help. Look on the "Advanced" tab for a drop down labeled "Invalid Numeric Data". You can choose error, truncate or zero. There is, of course, no such thing as a "Date" type in an AcuCorp Vision file. Which leads me to my question. Why do you presume the database is programmed in COBOL? You must know more about it that that to have gotten this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back