Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

activities during nonworking times

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggp

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
US
I have set up a schedule of activities with human and equimpment resources assigned to tasks. The project uses a standard calendar with regular work hours: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm. The base calendar for the human resources all use this calendar. The equipment are on a 24 hour calendar. Each activity has some human resource assigned to it (most have 2 people or 200%).

Why are some of my tasks automatically getting scheduled over the noon lunch hour when 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm are nonworking times?

Why are some tasks getting automatically scheduled after 5:00 pm?

I've set up my system to share resources. A special .mpp file was created to serve as a resource pool. Originally, some human resources were using an extended calendar (7:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm), but I've edited the resource file so that all resources are using the standard 8 hour day.

What an interesting question! It sounds as if the equipment and its operator are a work unit, and one cannot start without the other. I wonder if you could help the software understand this by scheduling "operating the equipment" (operators) ans "doing the work" (equipment) as separate tasks with a start-to-start relationship.

I figured it out...

The base calendar for the engineers uses a standard 8 hour
day (8am - 12pm and 1pm - 5pm) with a 1 hour lunch break
at noon. The equipment's base calendar is a 24 hour
calendar - no breaks. If a task spans across the noon hour
(or to the next day) the engineer's schedule accounts for
the nonworking time and spans the extra time required to
complete the task. The equipment simply accumilates all
the time during this period.

I'm not following you...

"if the equipment is assigned to the task as well as a resource the task can be scheduled to have activity on that day"

What do you mean by this? Are you implying that it is 2 different things? 1) equipment assigned to a task, 2) a resource.

The equipment is a resource which is assigned to a task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back