Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activiation Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBtheFox

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
Two months ago, after a rather bad computer crash, I finally upgraded to Windows XP. Had a bit of trouble with the sound card, but other than that everything has worked fine.

Until yesterday.
When I turned on my computer, it popped up a box saying that windows needed to be activated and I had 7 days to do it. I had all ready activated it, but clicked the option to activate it now. It immediately popped up a box saying windows was already activated.

I thought this was strange, but figured it had righted itself. However, it does the same thing every time I turn on my computer, and the days are continually counting down.

What can I do to convince the system that I have, indeed, activated Windows? Any help would be very much appreciated.

-David

You should be able to chose the activate by phone method. Follow the on-screen instructions to call Microsoft and explain this to them. They should give you a new activation code without too much hassle.

Strange though that this is neccessary. Have you replaced any hardware?

I added a scanner, a headset and a set of speakers.

It doesn't give me an option to register by phone... it asks "Do you want to register now?" with a 'yes' option that takes me to the 'already activated' option, or 'no' which just takes me into Windows itself.

See if this works.
How to activate Windows XP by phone
To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

See if there is anything here?

Xp Keeps requiring to be activated
thread779-968140

XP Activation Loop
thread779-1004125

Thank you, franklin97355, the info in that second link worked like a charm!

I think my adding a new graphics card is what caused the hiccup, I really appreciate the help. =)

-David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back