Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Activex warning bar in IE7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffumjr

Technical User
Mar 9, 2007
US
OK, Internet Explorer 7 warns you it has barred Activex controls from running. Is there any way to get rid of the warning bar without disabling the protection? The bar is annoying. Besides, I have plain-vanilla HTML pages, with NO Activex, Java, or anything else. Why would that trigger the Activex warning, anyway?

Tried to find the answer in Microsoft.com, but, unless I want to spend $490, that way is blocked.

Any suggestions, URL, etc?

I am not aware of anyway to disable the notification while keeping the behavior. Is the page that causes this public? IE7 is seeing something related to ActiveX in the html code if it's giving you the warning.

I have noticed that many email services, such as Earthlink, block pictures from email, and won't forward them, unless you go through a lot of gyrations. I have one picture in the middle of the web page, a jpg I took myself, and the background is a gif file tiled. I Norton'd them both, and no flags raised.

I just hex dumped the HTM file, and validated that there are no strange binary headers or trailers. Everything in there is nothing but ASCII, and every byte has to do with an HTML command.

I appreciate the come-back.

If you use XP Pro, run Group Policy Editor (The settings are under Administrative Templates, Internet Explorer, Security Features, Information Bar. Set to Disabled for Internet Explorer Processes and All Processes.

If you use XP Home, you can't use Group Policy. There are probably corresponding registry settings but I haven't found them (yet).

I hope Microsoft reads all this. I'm sure I am not the only one with this problem.

When I tried disabling the behaviors, I get a different "nag bar" warning me my computer practices are unsafe.

OK. Microsoft, if you want to help me, have one nag window on login, then stop, already.

If anyone finds that registry entry, please email me.

If it is just one or two sites does it help if you add them as Trusted Sites?

Message in the Information bar in Internet Explorer 7 when you browse to a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site or to a SharePoint Server 2007 site: "The Web site wants to run the following add-on: 'Name ActiveX Control'"

Information bar appears while downloading a file - Windows XP SP2

"information bar"+registry

Forgot about the warnings. You can disable them with this:

If you use XP Pro, run Group Policy Editor (The settings are under Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Internet Explorer. Set to Enabled for 'Prevent "Fix Settings" functionality' and for 'Turn off the Security Settings Check feature'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back