Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX vs DHTML Analysis viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldopepper

Programmer
Nov 21, 2003
GB
Hi - we've jigged the preferences with Enterprise so that users can select the ActiveX Analysis viewer. We have been happily using this within the company to test it for a client roll-out.
But we've just been informed that you can't use this viwer outside the company normally (over the web using Enterprise) without dialing in first and being on our network. I guess this is because the ActiveX viewer grabs the data and processes it locally, whereas the dhtml viewer simply views the data that is processed on the server.

Has anyone managed to get around this?

PS CE, CA, CR v9
Simon

Uncertain what you mean.

"But we've just been informed that you can't use this viwer outside the company normally (over the web using Enterprise) without dialing in first and being on our network."

How could anyone access a report on CE without being connected?

The Active-X viewer doesn't grab the data, but it does leverage the cache/page sever, which is probably what your concern stems from.

Perhaps you can explain what you meant, as it makes no sense to me.

-k

OK I'm talking garbled terms here because I haven't been using Crystal that long, let alone Crystal Analysis.

Basically we have published an Analysis report through the Enterprise environment that uses MS Analysis OLAP cubes as its data source. When using the DHTML viewer, you can view this report through ePortfolio on any machine at our company, as well as from home - all works fine.

However when you change the Analysis viewer to the ActiveX version, this only works properly from within the company. I've tried logging into ePortfoiio from home and all, opening up the report (with ActiveX as Analysis viewer) and all I get is a blank page. Crystal support have told me that this will be the case as to use the ActiveX Analysis viewer you have to be in the same location (network I guess) as the data (or have some sort of link to e.g. dialed in to the network).

I just wanted to check if this was true for anyone else who wanted to use the ActiveX Analysis viewer.

Hope I'm making more sense now
thanks
W

The way around this is to use http connectivity to MSOLAP. If you set up IIS on the OLAP server machine correctly then you can force PTS to connect to the server over http (it is one of the connection options in CAPro). Then provided that your OLAP server machine is visible through your firewall then the ActiveX client will work.

MSOLAP is the only OLAP provider that this works for with Crystal Analysis as none of the others offer http connectivity.

Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back