Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

activeX viewer not showing my reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey

Programmer
Oct 16, 2000
NZ
Could anyone help me with trouble shooting my ActiveX viewer problem? I can view my reports using ?init=java and ?init=html_page, however if i leave the url to default to activeX, or use ?init=actx, the activeX viewer does not display my report, only a blank grey view screen (0 of 0 pages).

I can view the ActiveX versions of Crystal's reports on the web, so the clients viewers are ok...just not my reports.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey: Please supply version details as there have been patches to deal with this David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I had similar problem before as well, but I did't do the Java option.

The ActiveX Viewer worked look fine but my report didn't shown up, although the report did shown in Designer preview.

I'm using CR8 and MS SQL Server 7.0. My data source is a stored-proc connect through OLEDB.

After few rounds of T&T and suggestion from my colleague, the problem resolved after I rename my stored-proc. I changed from "sp_test#data" to "sp_test_data".

Somehow stored-proc name contained character "#" doesn't work well with CR8 ActiveX Viewer.

HTH. Yours sincerely,
Kelmen
------

I am using CR8, have applied the reg-fix.
My reports are only basic at this stage, as i am fairly new to this game (not just CR)so no stored procedures.
Web server is win2000 FAT32, Apache (latest version)

Thanx guys for your replies :)

If your problem only in using ActiveX not Java, should trouble-shoot in the related scope.

Trouble-shooting on :

1. Server side
--------------
a. Try modify the server script to display debuging info, such as:
- when error occur, show more error info.
- Verify that connection to database is valid.
- Web server settings like security, time-out, and etc.
- Make sure those required server files are resided on the server path. (like the rptserver.asp (something like that) if you are using ASP)

2. Client side
--------------
a. Check through those client browser settings related to ActiveX.

b. Try different version of the same browser on system OS same as the Server. As software backward compatibility had been always know as the typical problem source.

Since I don't know about your development environment, I can't actual help you but only guide. (I'm using ASP for my server script, and IE 5.01 as for the client browser running on Win2K. Sorry that I got exp in Apache.)

HTH. Yours sincerely,
Kelmen
------

Thanks to all who replied to this posting.

It turned out to be the "servername" declaration in apache, left to default it was using loopback address, which aparently screwed with the activex viewer.

entering the Ethernet computer name there fixed the problem

:)

big thanx to seagate for helping me out.. they ended up ringing me in New Zealand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back