Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
I installed a virus scanner which didn't work on my system, and so I then uninstalled it; after which, I noticed Microsoft Media Player didn't work (An internal application error has occurred). So I tried going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com, which came up blank. This was bad. So I tried hitting "View Source", which, towards the bottom, had some text that said that ActiveX needed to be installed, running, etc. Well I double-checked my security permissions--that's not the problem--so it's installed, just not running correctly.

Right now, I'm running McAfee.. is there any way that McAfee could have disabled ActiveX? And is there any way to fix this by downloading something? Or could this be indicative of a different problem?

Thanks.

Liam Morley
lmorley@gdc.wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

If you have WMP 9 then try re-installing it, which worked for me at my work computer (I still have 8 on the personal). If you have WMP 8, then I recommend upgrading to 9 or find a website the has the stand alone file.

thanks for your reply. although that may or may not save my media player problems (yes i'm using 9), i doubt it would save my windows update problems? i suppose it wouldn't reinstall activeX, would it.. i'm not sure, we'll find out.

Liam Morley
lmorley@gdc.wpi.edu
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Check through McAfee preferences for any blocking of ActiveX, try their Help by typing ActiveX in it.

Some links for you to check out.

IE6 and activex not working...
thread779-562413

Unable to Install XP Home Critical Updates
thread779-552071

Windows Update
Thread779-390623

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back