Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX: MTS implementation needed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
I want to create an ActiveX DLL that will be implemented on an ASP page and will be stored in a session object. This ActiveX will store information and write it to a DB when needed. the question is: do I need to create it as an MTS package or can I just create it as a normal ActiveX DLL?

Thank you.

Because your dll will write to DB i suggest you use MTS component.You will enjoy the transaction support,connection pool,etc. of MTS executive.

Regards! IPO_z@cmmail.com
Garbage in,Garbage out

You do not need to use MTS but it is suggested. If you do not and your dll hangs it can take down the web service running on that server. MTS will run the dll in a protected memory space, so if the dll hangs mts will terminate the tread and return an error to the caller.

Very important: It is very bad practice to store objects in a session or application variable, this work ok under small loads but will not scale. MTS offers connection pooling of the objects and will make your app scalable.

Thoriumg8 -

Like tdube says, storing objects or program state in the session object is bad practice. It is OK to store the key to a database table in the session object, as that's only a few bytes. You might want to think about storing it in a cookie, too (depending on whether your customers allow their browsers to save cookies).

Chip H.

Hi,
I have been creating an ActiveX DLL with Visual Basic. I used MTS component to register the ActiveX DLL. After, I implement it on an ASP page. The object is stored in a simple variable. I load the page in internet.
I have this error :

"Pages ASP error 'ASP 0241'

Exception CreateObject

Objet Server error 'ASP 0177 : c0000005'

Échec de Server.CreateObject"

What can I do ?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back