Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX help needed on Win98 w/IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

artheim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have IE 5.0 installed, and am unable to update with Windows Update. I get an error on unable to run any ActivX modules regardless of what I have the security settings set for. Also, the Search Bar key for IE keeps getting reset to c:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll which is then flagged as a virus by AVG. I keep deleting it and changing the registry key back but something is setting it as soon as I start IE. I have cleaned out the TEMP and Internet Temp Files folders along with following the NB on cleaning out Windows Updates when update is failing to install the ActiveX control. I have run Ad-Aware and SpyBot SD and removed everything found. Any suggestions?

Install ie 6? (its been out for 4 or 5 years!)

I know.. that is what I was trying to do - plus apply the rest of the Windows critical updates too.. problem is, I couldn't get it done. I did just get past that point now by disabling all of the BHOs that were installed. That allowed me to install the critical updates, including IE 6.
Thanks for responding.. I think I am back running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back