Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.7 Library vs. 2.5. Info needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptCrusty1

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
I am trying to dig up references/doc's to support why all our PC's need to have the same install of Access. My fellow Developer and I have the ActiveX Data Ojbects Recordset 2.7 library, while everyone else in my group has 2.5. This has presented several problems as everytime the db is opened on an older install, it crashes and I have to reset my Library References to 2.5. (I can't believe I have to make a case for this to the MIS dpt.)

Another issue that keeps popping up is when this db is opened on any other machine than mine or my colleagues, a message pops up saying this db is Read Only, which doesn't make sense to me if it isn't considered Read Only on my colleagues.

What references can anyone point me to which would help me to solve the library issues I'm having.

Oh...I have yet another issue with this (in my code) that I'll get to later... my primary issue is to have everyone on the same install and evidence to support this.

Thanks all
Crusty.

I live to work and I work to live.

Different versions of

ActiveX Data Objects Recordset x.x Library

correspond to different releases of MDAC Microsoft Data Access Components

You may (or may not) have compatibility problems among different MDAC releases depending upon which ADO features you use.

Here's a whole bunch of stuff (papers, downloads, etc.) that relate to MDAC and how releases differ.

The big change from 2.5 to later releases was that MS/JET native support was dropped from MDAC in the later releases and that may be causing your problems.

Golom, I had a feeling you might be the guru to answer my questions... I appreciate it as always..

Can you expand on this 2.5 issue? Also, I'm checking the versions on all our PC's and so far, haven't found a single one thats the same....

How can I demonstrate a relationship between the MDAC on a PC and the contents, or, how can I demonstrate a correlation between the Access Version (from Exe file) and MDAC currently installed?

My fully patched ac2003 SP2 let me the choice to reference Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.0, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 or 2.8

So, if you're sure that all PC's have at least 2.5 then simply develop and compile with 2.5 !

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV... my version (2000) does not allow me to choose. I have 2.7 and thats it. Also, you're referring to
"Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects x.x Library" while my main issue is:
"Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset x.x Library

At this point I do not know what the differences are, however, the db seems to need them both. This issue is severely hobbling my efforts at developing a solution...

Again.... Any help is appreciated...

What is the benefit of using an ADOR.Recordset instead of an ADODB one ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Gotta agree with PHV ... I've found no benefit (and several headaches) dealing with ADOR recordsets that all got better when I went back to ADODB.

Virtually any reference that involves [blue]ActiveX Data Objects[/blue] is going to be impacted by MDAC.

When an MDAC installer runs it (among other things) installs new ADO DLLs in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado (at least on my system.)

You could do as PHV suggests and develop on 2.5 but my instinct is that you should probably upgrade all machines to the same release that your development machines are using. The later releases (aside from mere compatibility) also offer upgraded functionality.

Ok... guys... I'm really confused... I thought there was ADODB (ADO) and DAO. Whats the difference between ADOR and ADODB? Should I post some code?

Also, there are other issues at hand as well... some DAO stuff (from previous programmers) isn't working as well, but thats another issue...

If you can help me with the ADOR issue, I should be good to go....

In ADOR the "R" stands for "Remote". The original intent of ADOR was to exchange data between different levels in an n-tier architecture. As it says in this article.
Existing applications that reference the outdated ADOR.Recordset ProgID will continue to work without recompiling, but new development should reference ADODB.Recordset.
The functionality that ADOR had has now been completely encapsulated within ADODB.

Golom,

I'm going to have to try that out. My problem probably stems from the fact that the PC for the application has ADOR 2.5 and I have 2.7. Maybe if I disable it totally, it will still work...

What happens if you get rid of ADOR and work with ADODB ?

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back