Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACTIVEX Controls install every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHolden

Programmer
May 28, 2002
GB
I am running IE6 SP2 on Windows XP. Every time I go to a site that requires an ActiveX control (e.g. Microsoft Update) I have to install the ActiveX control if I have rebooted between visits.

I have been unable to find anyone with the same problem or anything on Google / Microsoft.

Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

Tools > Internet Options > Security tab....check your ActiveX settings.
Any set to disable?

Hi, thanks for the response.

the following are disabled.

Automatic Prompting for ActiveX Controls
Download Unsigned ActiveX controls
Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe

Do you have any kind of web browsing anonomizer or automatic history cleaner running?

Hi,

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2005, and Windows Defender.

BTW I have another Laptop running mostly the same software (doesn't have my dev stuff on it) that doesn't have this problem?

I've seen cases where Norton gets an update that causes this problem. Try disabling everything. I mean everything, not just what you think is logical. Experience speaking here. :) Then try again. Norton usually becomes active again after a reboot. (and right clicking on the icon in the tray, selecting 'disable' does not completely disable the product.) In some cases, I've had to actually uninstall the product to get things working again.

Hi, thanks for the advice.... I'm going to try uninstalling Norton and see if that helps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back