Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX controls in IE6 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspectorfox

Programmer
Nov 28, 2002
US
I'm running Microsoft IE6 on Windows XP Pro SP1
Version- 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920
I'm getting the following alert message -
"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
I tried changing the security settings of my browser but the alert still keeps repeating. I always get this alert message when I visit the Microsoft Windows Update site: Thanks,
InspectorFox

steamwiz had the link that fixed my problem.

Specifically, doing windows update or trying to run anything that wanted to download via activex would fail. I was unable to load Symantec System Works and the online virus scan at symantec failed as well. I though I got hit by a very hard to find virus!

Turns out that the specific fix for me was to reregister the .dll files.

Thanks steamwiz.

I have had this problem on a windows2000 with IE5.5 SP2 that i upgraded to IE6 SP1 i belive it was. what made this work after one hour of changing security settings and changing settings until i allmost reinstalled the computer what the button "default level" and changing the security settings again. it looked the same in the settings but something changed bacause the problem went away :)

Interesting to see that I am not alone ... having this same problem for the past 3 months. Problem started after I upgraded from IE5 to IE6. Now that I try to reinstall IE6, I get an error saying that the previous installation did not complete so the PC must be restarted. Doesn't work. I tried changing security settings, but no luck. I tried performing Msft KB 319585. Then I get an administrator error (I never set up administrator functions on my 2 PC network). Tried Msft KB 316524, but that just gives me more problems. I also tried system restore, but no luck. I happened across tek-tips and just joined. I will try the many good recommendations and let you know if they work. (I think I'll buy a Mac or stick to pen and quill).

I think I can help!

I recently encountered this problem on one of my clients computer. His computer could not logon to hotmail or MSN explorer. His computer also could not access Windows update. I went through all the same stuff you did as well with no luck then I found a kB article that helped. It turns out I had to reregister a couple of DLLS and then everything worked great!

Enter these commands into a batch file or one at a time at the commandline.

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Here is the KB article.

Let me know if that works for you!

Any idea what would cause that error message ("Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly") to appear on webpages that DO NOT HAVE ANY ACTIVEX elements on them?

I built a website for client during the winter which functioned perfectly. All of a sudden they're seeing that message on some of the pages, including pages that have not been altered since the site went live.

I get that message at certain pages. So far none of the fixes have solved it for me. I currently am running win xp sp1a.

I hope you figure it out. It is only certain sites. One I get it from is

when I click to run the virus scan

It happens occasionally elsewhere as well.

I tried re-registering the dll files but it hasn't changed anything.

Hope you get it figured out.
jeturner

Jesterx69, you are a true master ... your fix to install the dll files did its magic. I no longer get ActiveX controls errors (I was finally able to download Shockwave player. I did not get an ActiveX control error this time). I also once again have access to the Msft windows update site. Interestingly enough, the "regsvr32 initpki.dll" file took about 1 minute to install vs 3 seconds for the others. I suspect this dll file was missing! After months of trying, and using other online bulletin boards, I can say I am glad I stumbled on Tek-Tips. Everyone was real helpful. Much appreciated to all ... and to jesterx69 for coming through. Man, do I feel good or what!! And so should you all ... great team work!!

Nice fix. But what I don't understand is why I get the error/warning when I have deliberately disabled ActiveX in the security options. If I didn't choose Prompt but chose Disable, why would I want to be reminded (and have to hit OK) multiple times to acknowledge that the page may not look right?

dadoodan,

You can also get this message if you have disabled the Java permissions.

I have Win 2000 and IE 6

I fixed the problem by going to Tools--> Internet Options--> Security--> Internet--> Custom Level

Scroll down to Java Permissions - see if it is Disabled
Mine was, and I changed it to Low Safety

now the page in question doesn't give me the "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly"
message.

Maybe this will help you or someone else. John

jesterx69 thank you thank you thank you, i have had this active x problem for 7month now and it finnally solved. Thank you,
Email me at ordel17@yahoo.com
Thank you i am so happy

Jesterx69,
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! I feel like I just won the lottery (okay, clearly, I need to get a life). I have been ready to rip out my hair for 5 months trying to figure out this goofy problem and your suggestion to re-register the listed DLLs worked like a charm. I read through all the previous postings and when people said this actually worked I thought it was almost too good to be true. I was amazed also at how easy the fix was once I stumbled upon this website. I did want to point out that, as someone else had noticed, the file "initpki.dll" did take much longer than the rest to register so maybe that's the "weak link". Great work! Thanks again so much!!!

Hello,

I'm new to these forums so I would be able to communicate on this issue. I experience the same problem of the ActiveX "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on the page. As a result, the page may not display correctly" error. However, this error ONLY (and I mean ONLY) occurs on the windows update site or windowsupdate.microsoft.com. What happens is that when I go to the site, the webpage says that's it's checking for the latest version of windows update software. The blue menu on the left is visible with no display errors. However after a few seconds the ActiveX error popup appears. Once I click "Ok", the webpage displays a message with the title "Administrators Only" and the begining line says "To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.". Then it proceeds to tell me how to run windows update as an admin account. However, I am logged on with an admin account. There are only 2 accounts on this computer, the admin account and a guest. I also checked to see the security settings and permissions and they all confirm me to have unfettered access to everything. When this webpage is shown the same activeX popup appears and I have to click ok again, but nothing else happens.

The webpage is still at the windows update site and I can still see the blue menu on the left, except everything but get help and about windows update is greyed out.

I checked and played with my settings numerous times. I enabled all the activeX and scripting, I've tried putting microsoft.com and the windows update site on the trusted sites list and using the default security settings, I've cleared cache; history; ssl state; cookies; passwords; etc, I've checked to make sure my advanced settings were allowing 128-bit scripting (the "about IE explorer" even confirms it's using 128), I've tried the all relating issue resolutions on the windows update troubleshooter (including modifiying registry, deleting activeX dlls, and renaming catroot folder). I also tried doing everything mentioned before on this thread (including the regsvrs of those dll's and also doing sfc /scannow). Yet nothing resolved my issue of the activeX error popping up ONLY in windows update.

Everyother webpage I visit that uses activeX always displayed perfectly with no errors at all (including the ones listed here). Flash/Shockwave work along with all my other plug-ins and extensions. This issue is really ticking me off and I'm starting to consider learning Linux.... I have never seen this error before on a windows update page using recommended and lower security settings.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1 with IE 6 SP1 (version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633) behind a Linksys router (BEFSR41), but I also tried it without the router and the same thing still happens. I installed MDAC2.8 and DX9.0b as well, but to no avail. Hotmail and MSN messenger work fine too, and I have no viruses. I've also tried giving everyone full permissions to the appropriate windows update registries as well.

So can someone please help me solve this issue, it would be greatly appreciated?

Ok let me correct a few things. Apprently some ActiveX sites work fine like but i've just discovered sites that don't work. Meaning that no certificates pop up when they should and the same activex security settings error pops up. I did try everything suggested on this site and the site (including registering the DDL's) yet it still doesn't work for me. No certificates are able to pop up when they should be able too, only the error message comes. I also set my Java permissions to low. Is it possible that I need to install some comercially made activex controls to resolve this issue?

Well, I appreciate all of the suggestions, and it seems that they have worked for many. However, none of the suggestions worked for me. I finally had to save all my documents and reload everything to get it to work.

There has to be some registry setting that is being screwed up by some other software or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back