Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Control Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberbt

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
I've created an ActiveX control for our intranet that doesn't load properly for everyone. I moved it to the webserver, and when I go to the webpage, everything loads fine for me and several other people. For others it does not load properly. I have made sure that these people were administrators on their machines (mostly 2k machines), but the control simply doesn't load or get registered on their machines. If they access the .ocx file directly they can download it, so I know it is not a permissions problem. I'm really unsure what else to do. The really puzzling factor is this:

The webserver itself cannot view the control. I manually registered the control on that machine, got the clsid, made the webpage. if I visit the page from that machine it shows up with the generic little active X logo where the control should be. This doesn't make sense to me since the control is definately registered on that machine. I've installed the latest MDAC, and the vb6 runtimes, everything.

Could someone please help me out, I'm really stumped.

I also just tried using the microsoft distribution program to make a .cab file with all the included dependencies and all that fun stuff, and I'm still running into exactly the same problem.

Someone please help!

i have included a calendar control on some simple pages programmed with visual interdev. The calendars only show up on some client machines. What is problem/solution to this?

thanks
dutch9@yahoo.com

I Have exactly the same problem with the calender controll. My Conclussion is Microsoft is bad. Step into Java!! Java solves the problem but it has other problems caused by windows!

Did you resolve this problem? Please let me know if you found anything that might help me with my problem. Thanks.

I'm having a similar problem except that I am able to install my previous version to all machines, but the most recent version will only install to some machines. The only difference in the installs are the CLSID for 2 of the ActiveX controls I am trying to install are different. The ones that work have the same clsid. The install that doesn't work have 2 totally different clsid's. That is the only thing I can find different.
[Mscomctl.ocx]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
RegisterServer=yes
clsid={2334D2B2-713E-11CF-8AE5-00AA00C00905}
DestDir=11
FileVersion=6,1,83,41

[MSCHRT20.OCX]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
RegisterServer=yes
clsid={2334D2B2-713E-11CF-8AE5-00AA00C00905}
DestDir=11
FileVersion=6,0,88,4

Have you checked the client machine settings to see what the activeX download policy is? These settings are under the tools>Internet options>security tab>custom settings. Compare the settings from a machine that works to one that does not. I had a problem rolling out an activeX control to some users because they had changed their settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back