Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveX Control installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

leyann

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
FR
Hi,

I've made an activeX control. The problem is that when I try to access it entering the url in IE, sometimes it works fine and sometimes not.
I've changed the security parameters of IE so that it accept unsigned activeX. The downloading is ok, IE prompts me for installation, but the activeX is not installed and not executed (whereas it works on some others mechines).
Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

leyann.

the real problem seems to be with the dll files included in the cab file. I don't know which one I must include... and which one not.

When using activex with associated dlls where you are unsure of what exactly you need(I'm assuming your using VB/C to write this activex) You should use the package and deployment wizard to prepare a series of cab files for testing purposes. You can acept all the defaults to start with and strip out what you know/think are not needed on subsequent packages( a little record keeping). Now test your packages starting with a clean system untill you are sucessfull with a minimum package. Note if Activex use MDAC objects (Think ADO etc) you should do a seperate install.
Thats all for now...

Thanks a lot for your answer. I found the solution : there was a problem with a dll I included in the cab file.
When you deploy activeX, the problem is that IE don't show you any error message.
Someone from Microsoft told me to use a special tool to see what happended during the dll installation. This tool can be found at :

It would be easier if Microsoft gave all tools...

hi!

do you use windows 2000 on your clients? If yes: how did you overcome the problem that the user there has to be at least "poweruser" or "administrator"??

I would highly appreciate any help on that!

Kaembo,

I'm sorry : I don't think my answer will be very useful : in fact I do use Windows 2000 as clients, but I assume the user has suficient rights to install my application.

I would really appreciate to know if you ind a solution to that issue (I'm sure I'll need it some day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back