Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ActiveState/PERL virgin, please be gentle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wansolutions

Technical User
May 11, 2005
AU
G'day All,
I've downloaded the latest version of ActivePerl (5.8.7.813) and installed it on my Windows XP laptop.
I can get into ppm and can change settings, specifically "set fields name"; before I started playing with the setting, it would show three "fields" - Name, Version & Abstract. Now it will only show one "field". I enter the command "set fields name abstract version" but still ppm returns that the "fields" have been set to name only. What is the correct syntax for this command, I can't find it in the accompanying html help file.
Secondly, how do I get ppm to "see" packages? My laptop does no have an internet connection, I have set a repository up as c:\, I can run "search *" but get no returns.
If I run "query *" I get returns, but only for modules that I believe were installed with the initial installation of ActivePerl.
I have had a look at the FAQ's on the matter but they have not been able to help me.
Are there some simple things that I am doing wrong (I think so)? Do I need to navigate to somewhere in particular before I kick off my ppm session? I thought that was why you could set repositories locally?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Kirby.

From ppm help set
Code:
ppm set fields NAME ABSTRACT VERSION
I think the capitalisation might be important...

Thanks for your input stevexff, but I've tried that too and still no joy.

There's a C:\Perl\site\lib\ppm-conf\cmdline.cfg which you might be able to edit. Mine (I haven't done ppm set anything, so it ought to be plain vanilla) looks like
Code:
active_reps: @
    : ActiveState PPM2 Repository
    : ActiveState Package Repository
case-sensitivity: 0
fields: name version abstract
follow-install: 1
force-install: 0
install-verbose: 1
max_history: 100
page-lines: 24
pager: ""