Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

active x not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lngcntry

Technical User
Jan 7, 2009
US
cant download anything. i am using windows xp pro with no service pack installed. I dont think my activex is working at all, I cant download anything.it will go directly to screen like it is downloading but never gives me option to save or run file . it acts like it is downloading for a while and then says it cant find the page. how do I turn on activex and make sure it is working?

Assuming you're using IE6, I'd try resetting all of your security settings to their default values:

- Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Security.
- For each of the zones, click the zone icon, and then the 'Default Level' button

I'd strongly advise installing an up-to-date service pack, though, as XP with no service pack at all is very old (are you sure you have NO SP installed? Click Start -> Run -> Type 'winver' -> click OK to find out)

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the tip. I had already tried resetting the security settings to default and several different ways also. that should turn on activex usually. I'm still not getting the pop-up at the top of the page when trying to run content. and I still dont get the option to save or choose where to save a file. It just goes directly to the download screen like its going to download but then it won't find the page. but you were right about the service pack. instead of running XP Pro with no service pack,like my sister said she was running, It is running XP Home w/ service pack 3. Thanks again for your help.
Thanks,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back