Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Active X Document EXE (Web Application)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj92713696

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
US
Is it possible to connect to an Access database via a web application (an Active X Document EXE) running through Internet Explorer?

Basically I just want to have my clients connect to my *.mdb file via Internet. Is this possible? I am using the Data Environment. Currently I have specified a hard coded path to the *.mdb file.

Thanks,
CJ

basically, this is what i am doing too. what i did was include a data control to my form, link it via code to my access database, then extract data via sql statements. this works well in our company intranet running under IIS. since it works well in our intranet, i guess it is also possible to have it run in the internet.

i use the app.path statement, followed by a relative path to my database. :)

Yes you can do it with the following caviats.
1. All Client accessing must use MS browser solution.
2. Don't need to scale beyond few users(Control whos comminng in and count). If need to scale so switch to a more robust DB.
Solution you are looking at generally used only applicable on Intranets as you can control,the browser but not on Internate. Need to think about whether Clients will accept/support activex downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back